Open Space Institute – Boundary Survey and Subdivision Map
Chazen was retained by the Open Space Institute to provide a boundary survey and a three lot subdivision at the former 183 acre Westney property, abutting Saratoga National Historic Park property in Stillwater, NY. The purpose of the survey was to monument the boundaries, subdivide 169 acre portion to donate to the Saratoga National Park and two 7 acre parcels to donate to the Town of Stillwater. An eight four foot access from the 169 acre parcel to U.S. Route 4 was included with the Saratoga National Park parcel, with a permanent easement given to the Town.
In September 1777, the property was surrounded by the British army to the north and American army to the south. When the British broke camp and advanced, they crossed over the newly acquired terrain to begin the first battle, at Freeman’s Farm. On the bluffs of the parcel, there is a cemetery dating from the 18th century.
It also includes a segment of the historic Champlain Canal, which a regional effort is trying to redevelop as an off-road recreation trail that would run 62 miles, from Waterford to Whitehall. The canal piece is what was donated to the town of Stillwater. Chazen obtained a grant to develop the trail section.